CleanMyMac is a Mac cleaner with a range of features to clean up and maintain the storage and memory systems on your Mac.
MacPaw, the maker of CleanMyMac, has included utilities designed to enhance your Mac and improve system performance.
With CleanMyMac, utilities like an uninstaller for app management, hard drive maintenance, privacy tools to clean web browser history and cookies, a wizard to clean up extensions, and a file shredder for permanent deletion of files, make maintenance of your Mac easy.
But, is it really worth the money?
Performance & Privacy
Modern software has a tendency to leave temporary files scattered everywhere, and many of these files can hold personal information. With CleanMyMac, these files are removed when they are no longer needed.
CleanMyMac does a full scan of your system and will clean up your Mac in the background so that unnecessary files that contain personal information are never left lying around.
We’ll learn more about how to use an array of privacy and performance related features to clean your Mac.
Smart Cleanup performs a full scan of your computer to find all of the possible issues with your Mac and correct them as easily as possible.
Over the long term, this is the feature that you will use the most often because it allows you to optimize storage and memory usage with minimal effort.
Maintenance & Cleaning
MacPaw designed CleanMyMac to help you find and remove specific file types that are wasting gigabytes of disk space as it scans everything on your Mac, cleaning trash that usually goes unnoticed.
- System Junk – System Junk works to clean up unnecessary system files like binaries, language packs, and temporary files to free up storage on your Mac. This can help recover gigabytes of disk space.
- Photo Junk – Anyone who uses their Mac’s photo library will have photo junk to clean, and it can be considerable. With CleanMyMac, you can review settings and delete files that don’t affect your photos or your photo library, like cached thumbnails.
- Mail Attachments – If you use Outlook, your computer is constantly downloading mail attachments like images, company logos, documents, etc. CleanMyMac helps you review these so you can remove unnecessary files.
- iTunes Junk – Broken downloads, old phone backups, old software updates, etc., are all stored on your iTunes. iTunes is responsible for gigabytes of useless data on your Mac’s hard drive. CleanMyMac helps you review and decide what unnecessary files to clean.
- Trash Bins – Most people are unaware that Mac actually maintains multiple trash bins for different drives and apps. Mac Cleaner lets you empty all of the trash bins that are wasting space on your system at once.
- Large & Old Files – The older your Mac is, the more likely you have old and forgotten files that are taking up space. It scans your largest and oldest files to clean up gigabytes of wasted space on your mac.
With CleanMyMac, you have a robust set of utilities to let you manage programs, cookie policies, browser extensions, and learn more about your Mac and its health.
These utilities are laid out in a user-friendly and intuitive way, making the software easy to use while not losing the power and functionality that you would expect with a good Mac cleaner.
- Uninstaller – The Uninstaller is an app management tool that lets you fully uninstall apps with one click. CleanMyMac searches for folders, extensions, permissions, and registry files that a simple manual deletion will not remove.
- Maintenance – Maintenance works to check for disk errors and resolve them to improve the “health” of your Mac. This includes checking Disk Utility functions, application errors, and computer indexes to improve performance.
- Privacy – Cookies and temporary files build up over time, and they can take up a lot of space. Most users end up storing a lot of data that they never use and won’t ever need again. CleanMyMac improves your privacy and security by cleaning up cookies, browser data, and form information. It even removes unnecessary data left over from Messenger and Skype chats.
- Extensions – Browser extensions, widgets, app extensions, dictionaries, login items, etc., take up space and gradually slow down your Mac. CleanMyMac’s wizard helps you manage these features to improve startup speed, increase storage space, and reduce RAM and CPU usage.
- Shredder – Everyone has files that they don’t want falling into the wrong hands, for whatever reasons. Shredder permanently deletes these files so they cannot be recovered.
It’s The Little Things
CleanMyMac has a lot of small, but well thought out, features that set it apart from other Mac cleaning software. The maintenance section is one of those quiet but powerful things that make the everyday use of your Mac just a little bit faster and more pleasant.
With CleanMyMac, your Mac’s system health and performance tuning can be handled automatically.
It’s easy to notice how much trash it has been cleaning from your Mac when you are on the big flashy screens that say that you recovered 5 gigabytes of wasted disk space or 10% of your computer’s available memory. With CleanMyMac, never having new junk collect in the first place is far better.
A New Cleaner For Mac
CleanMyMac 3 does a good job recovering wasted disk space, freeing up system memory, and removing the massive amounts of unused junk that modern software seems to leave littering your Mac.
One of the best examples of this is when it scrubs the junk out of iTunes. Before reviewing CleanMyMac, I had no idea that iTunes left so much junk scattered all over my computer. Before this turns in to a rant about iTunes, the reason that made an impression on me is that it demonstrates the level of thought put into this software. CleanMyMac is thorough.
For many people, usability is just as important as being thorough. CleanMyMac does an excellent job of keeping a consistent, clear, and user interface while not compromising features.
You can try a free download of CleanMyMac to see if it is right for you.