Review of CleanMyMac
CleanMyMac is a computer maintenance program with a range of features to help you maintain the storage and memory systems of your Mac. This includes 6 functions designed to help you clean up junk files that should be deleted, an uninstaller for app management, disk maintenance, privacy tools for browser history and cookies, extension cleanup, and a file shredder for permanent deletion of files.
Smart Cleanup allows you to perform a quick general scan of your computer to find all of the possible issues with your Mac and correct them as easily as possible. Over the long term, this is the feature that you will use the most often because it allows you to optimize storage and memory usage with minimal effort.
CleanMyMac is designed to help you find and remove specific files that may be taking up space on your computer when you don’t use them.
- System Junk – System Junk works to remove unnecessary system files like binaries, language packs, and temporary files to free up space on your Mac. This can help recover a surprising amount of disk space.
- Photo Junk – Anyone who uses their Mac for photos will have photo junk, and it can be considerable. Here, CleanMyMac helps you to review settings and files that don’t affect your pictures, like cached thumbnails.
- Mail Attachments – If you use Outlook, your computer is constantly downloading mail attachments like images, company logos, documents, etc. CleanMyMac helps you review these so you can remove unnecessary files.
- iTunes Junk – Broken downloads, old phone backups, old software updates, etc., are all stored on your iTunes, taking up space on your Mac. CleanMyMac helps you review and remove unnecessary files.
- Trash Bins – Most people are unaware that Mac actually maintains multiple trash bins for different drives and apps. Mac Cleaner lets you empty all of them at once.
- Large & Old Files – The older your Mac is, the more likely you have old and forgotten files that are taking up space. This feature helps you review your largest and oldest files so you can delete what you no longer need.
CleanMyMac has a robust set of utilities to let you manage programs, privacy, browser extensions, and more. These are laid out in a user-friendly and intuitive way, making the software easy to use while not losing the power and functionality that you would expect with a good Mac cleaner.
- Uninstaller – The Uninstaller is an app management tool that lets you fully remove applications with one click. Clean My Mac searches for folders, extensions, permissions, and registry files that a simple manual deletion will not remove.
- Maintenance – Maintenance works to check for disk errors and resolve them to improve the “health” of your Mac. This includes checking Disk Utility functions, application errors, and computer indexes to improve performance.
- Privacy – Cookies and temporary files build up over time, and they can take up a lot of space. Most users end up storing a lot of data that they never use and won’t ever need again. CleanMyMac helps improve your privacy and your Mac’s security by cleaning out cookies, browser data, and form information. It even removes unnecessary data left over from Messenger and Skype chats.
- Extensions – Browser extensions, widgets, app extensions, dictionaries, login items, etc., take up space and gradually slow down your computer. The Extensions function helps you manage these features to improve startup speed, increase storage space, and reduce RAM and CPU usage.
- Shredder – Everyone has files that they don’t want falling into the wrong hands, for whatever reasons. Shredder permanently deletes these files so they cannot be recovered.
It’s The Little Things
CleanMyMac has a lot of small but well thought out features that set it apart from the competition. The maintenance section is one of those quiet but powerful things that make the everyday use of your Mac just a little bit faster and more pleasant. Small cleanups are handled here, and CleanMyMac can be set to handle these automatically.
It’s easy to notice the cleanups on the big flashy screens that say that you recovered 5 gigabytes of wasted disk space or 10% of your computer’s available memory, but never having the junk collect in the first place is far better.
CleanMyMac does a good job recovering wasted disk space, freeing up system memory, and removing the massive amounts of unused junk that modern software seems to leave littering your computer.
One of the best examples of this is when it scrubs the junk out of iTunes. Before reviewing Clean My Mac, I had no idea that iTunes left so much junk scattered all over my computer. Before this turns in to a rant about iTunes, the reason that made an impression on me is that it demonstrates the level of thought put into this software. It’s thorough.
For many people, usability is just as important as being thorough. CleanMyMac does an excellent job of keeping a consistent, clear, and user-friendly interface while not compromising features.
You can try a free download of CleanMyMac to see if it is right for you.