CleanMyMac X is a utility for cleaning your Mac. With a list of new features to maintain your MacOS, and MacPaw designed this Mac cleaner to enhance iOS and improve the performance of your entire system.
In our roundup of the best cleaning Mac apps, MacPaw’s CleanMyMac has always been our top recommendation. With this new version of the product, we’ll see if this set of tools is still the best for cleaning your Mac computers.
What Does CleanMyMac X Do?
CleanMyMac X does hard drive management, erases web browsing history and website cookies, cleans up unused apps, and junk files for quick and permanent deletion, make taking care of your Mac system easy.
Monitoring the applications on your Mac is important because there is a tendency for modern apps to leave junk scattered everywhere on your computer, and much of it can hold personal data. With CleanMyMac X, data is removed when it is no longer needed instead of hanging around on your system for years.
This maintenance feature will perform a scan while running in the background so unnecessary things containing personal info are never left lying around.
We’ll also check how to access several privacy related functions below.
Smart Scan checks your macOS to find speed and functionality issues with apps so problems can be fixed as quickly and easily as possible.
Allowing you to optimize system resource usage with minimal effort, this is the tool you will use the most often over the long term.
Large & Old Utility
This feature in CleanMyMac X finds large and rarely accessed files on your Mac to free up disk space. In these days of multi-Terabyte hard drives it’s easy to download something into a random directory and end up forgetting about it. Sometimes you remember that you have the downloads, somewhere, but just can’t recall where you stuck them.
The tool will list your largest files, which represent your biggest gains when trying to free up space on your hard disk. It will also list documents that have not been accessed in months or years. Sometimes these old downloads can be trashed to regain storage space, but many times you will find that the scan revealed some valuable information that you either forgot you had or had simply lost.
Malware Removal will scan your hard drive and memory for viruses and anything that may harm your machine. Scanning for these threats goes way beyond searching a few folders for junk files or obvious malware. All available storage areas will be included in the scan for malware. It should be noted that staying up to date on updates if important for the best experience.
Maintenance to Optimize Storage
Part of getting the most out of your Mac is optimizing storage space. MacPaw’s apps help you find and remove specific file types that are wasting space as it scans everything, getting rid of trash which usually goes unnoticed.
- System – Tools easily handle the removal of binaries, language packs, as well as temporary cache files to recover disk space on your machine. This makes it easy to recover more room than would be expected.
- Photos – Anyone who uses their Mac’s photo library will have junk accumulating, which can be considerable. Quickly work through feature settings to delete items which don’t effect anything in the picture service, including cached thumbnails.
- Mail Attachments – If you are using the program Outlook, your computer will constantly get attachments in messages like images, company logos, documents, etc.
- iTunes – Broken downloads, phone backups, updates, etc. are all stored automatically. Each version is responsible for a ridiculous amount on your hard drive. You will be shown a list of these to help you decide what to do.
- Trash Bins – Most people are unaware that Macs actually maintain multiple bins for different drives. Clean My Mac now empties everything iOS scatters around all at the same time.
- Large & Old Files – The older your MacBook Pro is, the more likely you have old and forgotten files. The largest and oldest is scanned to recover lost gigabytes.
The CleanMyMac X app has a robust set of new options to let you manage programs, cookie policies, add-ons, and learn more about your Mac.
These apps are laid out in a user-friendly and intuitive way, making them easy to access while not losing the power and functionality you would expect from a good Mac app.
- Malware Detection – CleanMyMac X can now be used to detect and clean up malware hidden inside your apps.
- Uninstaller – A management interface to remove an installed app in one click, integrated into SetApp. This version of MacPaw’s product will find folders, permissions, and registry entries simple manual deletion or an automated uninstall does not clear.
- Maintenance – Scan for errors and resolve any that are found. The menu includes checking Disk Utility functions, application errors, and will run a check for issues with indexes.
- Privacy – Cookies, contact lists, as well as other items accumulate over time, and can take a lot of space. Most users end up storing a lot of things they never use and won’t ever need again. Security is improved when you cleanup browser cookie info, forms, and other digital information. It even removes tracking logs left over after Messenger or Skype chats, which is good.
- Extensions – Browsers add-ons, widgets, dictionaries, login items, etc., gradually slow computers down. It offers wizards to help manage and improve startup speed, increase available storage, and also reduce memory (RAM) and CPU usage.
- Shredder – Everyone has sensitive things they don’t want falling into the wrong hands, for whatever reasons. These are permanently deleted and will not be able to be recovered.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is CleanMyMac X Safe?
Yes, the utility is safe for your Mac. It is a popular and well respected cleaner with a long history of running well on all versions of MacOS.
Does It Delete Photos?
CleanMyMac will not delete photos, but it will scan and remove unnecessary information associated with Mac’s picture service.
Is It Free?
The application has a free trial available on the company’s website, but after the trial period is over it will be necessary to purchase a license to continue using the software.
Is It Dangerous To Use?
CleanMyMac is not dangerous and does not pose a threat to your Apple system. The app has a long history with many thousands of users. MacPaw designed it so less tech savvy users will not accidentally change something critical or do real damage to the operating system.
Do I need antivirus for Mac also?
Although MacPaw’s software does scan for some security problems, it does not replace a good anti-virus program. Macs are better than Windows computers when it comes to this, but you always need to have good dedicated apps installed on your system to scan for viruses. We recommend finding a good Apple iOS antivirus solution.
Bottom Line – It’s The Little Things
CleanMyMac X includes a lot of small, but well thought out, utilities and tools which set it apart from any other app. Cleanup of caches, maintenance, and performance enhancements can be handled automatically, and it’s one of those quiet but powerful things making the everyday use of my Mac just a little bit faster and more pleasant.
The program is one of the few with a feature to scan RAM thoroughly and provide details about tasks that it recommends. Taking care of maintenance on your system is easy and the apps do all of the work for you.
It’s easy to notice how much it has been doing on your system when you are on the big flashy screens saying how you recovered 5 GB or 10% of your computer’s available memory. Never having junk collect in the first place is far better.
- Made by one of the most trusted makers of iOS focused products
- Long history of good reviews
- Better features than any other cleaner
- The Price
For MacPaw, CleanMyMac X’s features are just as important as usability. The developers at MacPaw have kept a consistent and clear user interface for people while not compromising on everything else users want for their Apple system.
The app always did a good job recovering wasted space, increasing performance, and removing the massive amounts of unused junk that every modern app seems to leave littering your desktop, and MacPaw seems to have improved on that with this new version.
One of the best examples of this is when it scrubs iTunes. Before this review, I had no idea that iTunes left so many junk files scattered all over my Apple Macbook. Before this turns in to a rant about that, the reason that made an impression on me is that it demonstrates the level of thought put into the software. It is thorough.
CleanMyMac X has a great price anyway, but you can try a free download to see if it is right for you. The experience of many users, and myself in this review, is that the
product is more than worth the amount of money it costs to purchase.