Review of OnyX for Your MacSoftware
Review of OnyX for Your Mac
If you wait until your Mac is running slow, then it can take a lot longer to get it back into tip-top shape. Ongoing maintenance for your Mac will prevent it from running slow to begin with, and will prevent many problems before they happen. Proper cleaning will help keep your computer in good working order. You can consider using an app to help you maintain your Mac before it slows down. OnyX is one of those apps available for Mac. The newest version of OnyX is for Lion but there are other versions for different Mac OSX.
As long as you allow non-App Store source installs, the installation process is very easy for OnyX. You cannot get the app from the App Store but it is available as a free download from the developer’s web site. Before you download the program, make sure that you have backed up your Mac just like you would with any other utility download. Downloading the program is quick and easy but when you download the app, you do have to make sure you download the correct one for your version of Mac OS X because each OSX has a separate version of OnyX.
The installation process is a basic. The installation will start when you drag and drop OnyX into your Applications. You will have to click through the permissions and click Next a few times to complete the installation process. You will also be asked for your Mac system password to complete the installation. After that, you’re all set.
The OnyX app is well laid out so that it is easy to use. When you download the program it comes with a help guide that will answer any questions you might have. The program has a very basic interface including a control panel that has tabs for easy navigation. You decide what you want the program to do from the control panel and click on Execute to start the process. Some tasks take longer than others do, so patience is sometimes needed. Some tasks you run will prompt you to restart your Mac when complete. The program prompts when needed and tells you what to do so you won’t have to worry about missing anything.
There are different versions of OnyX for each OS X and in the newest version for Lion, there are a few new features. Some features have also been removed from this new version. Deleting logs has been improved and you can now delete the Versions History and the auto-saved cache data. You can use the program to keep your Mac running smooth, restore performance and speed, and clean up your Mac.
1. S.M.A.R.T. Diagnostic Tool – The Self Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology tool will check the status of the S.M.A.R.T. hardware on the disk.
2. Cleaning – You are able to clean all caches including font, system and user caches. You can also clean internet files, obsolete files, temporary files, crash reporter, and logs.
3. Maintenance Scripts– You can run your maintenance scripts on a schedule that you set.
4. Utilities– This helps you find files quickly and force empty the trash. You can also access Unix pages; modify visibility status of files, volume, or folders.
5. Parameters– Your working environment can be personalized using the parameter panel. You can enable and disable hidden functions of some Apple applications using the panel.
Pros and Cons
There are more pros than cons to the OnyX app for Macs. While some might consider the basic interface a bad thing, I do not. I think the basic interface helps make the program easier to use. Most people might find the same.
- It is free
- Easy to use
- Provides in depth cleaning
- Optimizes and cleans your Mac
- Verifies disk structure and S.M.A.R.T.
- Includes help guide with tutorial
- A different version of OnyX is needed for each version of OS X
- Some operations can take time
The basic interface of the OnyX application makes it easy to use and understand for almost everyone. Tabs are clearly marked and each lists what they can do so that anyone can find what they are looking for. There is a handy question mark at the bottom of each page and will display helpful information when clicked on. OnyX is easy to download, includes a great deal of free tools, and using the app helps to stop problems before they become problems. Mac users will find OnX easy to use to keep their Mac in good running order. Best of all, you can’t beat the free price.