The New Kindle Fire vs Old – 7″ Model – What’s the Difference
If you have an old 7 inch Kindle tablet (5th generation) from 2015, you’re probably wondering how the new model (7th gen) released in June of 2017 holds up.
The new Fire 7 is a $49 tablet, which is a great deal whether you want to read, watch Amazon Prime, use Skype, or just surf the web and use apps on something slightly larger than a phone. However, if you already have one or are considering a different model, you need to know what the differences are and how they compare.
The New Fire 7 Tablet
The new Fire 7 tablet costs $49 and features 8 or 16 GB or ram, a 7″ display, a 1.3 Ghz quad core processor, 8 hours of battery life, a microSD slot, and Alexa. It’s also available in 4 colors including black, yellow, blue, and red. The tablet also features a 2mp camera, which you can use for Skype or taking photos.
So, what’s the difference between the new Fire tablet and the old?
The primary difference is the screen. Both 7-inch tablets feature the same processor he same storage and ram, and the same cameras. However, there are several other differences as well:
- Screen – The screen is the primary difference between the two 7-inch tablets. The new Fire 7 features brighter colors, text stands out more, and whites are whiter.
- SD Card – The New Fire supports up to a 250GB microSD card vs. The 200 GB on the old
- Weight – The old fire weighs 313 grams while the new one weighs 295 grams
- Battery Life – The new fire has an hour longer battery life
- Size – The new fire is more rounded, and is about 1mm thinner. The screen is also slightly wider but shorter, making it easier to read on.
- Alexa – The new tablet features Alexa, Amazon’s smart voice assistant. This can be very useful if you have Alexa capable devices, because you can control your lights, your thermostat, your door lock, or your coffee machine right from your tablet if you have it.
These changes are all very minor, but they are noticeable in a side-by-side comparison. However, if you already have the old 7-inch Kindle Fire, they probably aren’t enough for you to want to invest in a new one, simply because they are so minor.
How Does It Compare to Other Tablets?
The Fire 7 tablet is primarily designed for reading and viewing media, which makes it difficult to compare to other tablets. However, it is almost worthless for any applications outside of Amazon media, simply because the entire system is designed around and geared towards Amazon. You cannot really compare it to an iPad or a Samsung tablet because it is designed to do different things.
Overall, the new Fire tablet has marked (but slight) improvements over the old one, but not enough to warrant an upgrade. However, if you get the chance to choose between them, the new is definitely the better choice. Other than that, the tablets are identical in every way.