Install Chrome on Kindle Fire Tablets
Amazon’s Kindle and Fire tablets are high-power and often an extremely good value for the money, but many of us miss the ability to install and use our own browsers. Unlike standard Android tablets where you can install any browser you like from the App store, Amazon declines to enable browsers like Google, Opera, and Mozilla Firefox app-store space in favor of their own Silk browser.
Unfortunately, if you aren’t a fan of Silk, want to be able to import and use your Google Chrome settings, or otherwise want a different browser, this can be inconvenient.
Luckily, you can still install and use other browsers like Google Chrome using an APK, without jailbreaking or unlocking your Amazon tablet. However, you will need a bit of patience, or a bit more technical skill than is required for tapping a button to install an app.
Step 1: Enabling Third-Party Apps
Kindle and Fire tablets disable the ability to install third-party apps by default. This protects you from accidentally downloading virus and malware apps from websites not verified by Amazon. You will have to turn this feature off for the purpose of installing Google Chrome or another browser of your choice. However, you can turn it back on after downloading.
Kindle 10 +:
- Swipe down from the home screen and tap “settings”
- Tap “Security”
- Slide “Apps from unknown sources” to “On”
Kindle HD6/Fire 7:
- Swipe down from the home screen and tap “Settings”
- Tap “Applications”
- Slide “Apps from unknown sources” to “on”
Kindle Fire 1 & 2 (original models)
- Swipe down from the home screen: Tap “More”
- Tap “Device”
- Slide “Allow installation of applications” to “On”
Once you’ve installed your app, you can simply go back and return the sliders to “off” if you want to turn the feature off.
Installing the App Via APK
APK or Android Package Kit is an android app installation format which you can download and install from the Internet. It is crucial that you only download APKs from verified sources.
- Make sure that your Kindle or Fire tablet is connected to the Internet
- Open your Silk browser
- Type APKMirror.com into your Silk browser
- Choose the version on the top and hit the downward arrow next to the version
- Open the notification area on Silk from the top Menu Bar
- Once the download has finished, tap the APK
- Select “Install”
- Go to your carousel and open the app
Troubleshooting: In some cases, your “install” button may be greyed out. Try hitting either the back button or the square button on the screen depending on the Amazon tablet model you have and then returning to the install screen.
You can install most browsers from APKMirror.com directly onto your Kindle tablet. However, it is crucial that you check the developer and ensure that the app is genuine before doing so. Do not install APKs from websites you do not know.