How Technology Helps You Get Babysitting Jobs!
Using Technology to Get Babysitting Jobs!
So you want to get a babysitting job, but do not know how to get started. Here are a few tips that can help you find great babysitting jobs and help your babysitting business prosper. First of all get experience. You can babysit your younger brother, sister, niece, or nephew. Your best bet is to get some experience so you can understand what is expected of you as a babysitter. You could even get experience from helping at a daycare or even helping out at the nursery at your local church. Use these same people to give you future references that you will need when looking for an actual job.
What To Do First?
- Decide Pay: Figure out how much you want to charge by checking the local babysitting rates in your area. Decide how much you want to charge per hour, per kid, and per age group.
- Get Certified: While there is not a license required in order to become a babysitter, it is still recommended to get certified in other aspects such as taking a CPR class or being certified in First Aid. Some YMCA’s actually offer a babysitting course to help prospecting babysitters get the education they need for taking care of children and babies.
- Use Word of Mouth: Use word of mouth by contacting your family and friends. Let them know that you are starting a babysitting service so they can let you know of anyone that might be interested. They may know of people with children that may need your services.
- Advertise: Make business cards with your information that advertises you as a babysitter. They are easy to hand out to people. You can also invest in making them into small magnets. This allows parents to place it on their fridge and have easy access to contact you. You can advertise anywhere where public bulletin boards are located. You can find them in most supermarkets, laundromats, churches, and some schools. You can also advertise in local newspapers.
- Sign up with an Agency: A babysitting agency is an agency that helps parents find babysitters for their children. They do all the hard work and will even advertise for you. You just provide your information such as your pay rate, what age groups you are interested in babysitting, as well as the hours you are available to work. They will set you up with potential clients that are looking for what you have to offer and are located in your same area. They even perform their own background check on you and provide that information for the parents that are looking to hire you. They also screen the parents to make sure you are safe as well.
So You’ve Got An Interview With A Potential Client
You got a call for an interview, now what? You need to gather all of your information that most parents will require of you. Make sure to have a copy of your background check ready, a copy of a clean driving record, references, and any certifications that you have since earned such as CPR or First Aid.
Treat the interview as you would any regular job. Dress appropriately and sell yourself to the parents. You need to show them that you will care for their children and that they will be in good hands when they are with you. You need to show them that you are confident and know what you are doing.
So You Got The Job!
Congrats! You now have the job. Make sure to show up a few minutes early on your first day of babysitting. This will allow you to get familiarized with the house where everything is, etc. Find out if there is any information that you need as far as do the kids have any food allergies that you should be aware of, what time is their bedtime, and are they allowed to watch television and if so how much? Make sure to get all important information such as where the parents will be, what time are they expected home, and any emergency contact numbers.
Remember being a babysitter is not just watching children. You have to also socialize and interact with them. Make sure to have plenty of activities planned to keep the child or children occupied. Parents love babysitters who enforce the rules, encourage discipline, but still manage to have fun and help children learn in the process. How you perform with this babysitting job will determine if they continue to use you in the future.
Make sure you know the people that you are babysitting for. The same way that potential clients would like to know about you and your background, you should know about them as well. Never accept a job if you feel uncomfortable in any way; such as, if you are unfamiliar with a certain age group or if it requires you taking care of special needs kids, which you may not be qualified for. Also, if you are meeting a potential client for the very first time, you should always meet in a public place and take a trusted person with you or preferably a parent.
Babysitting can be challenging at times but it can also be fun. Children are wonderful and always full of life. Babysitting can be extremely rewarding because not only are you caring for someone’s child, you will also gain the trust, love, and affection from each child that you babysit.
Are you a babysitter? HTS would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below and tell us your experience. We may even do an article all about you and your babysitting experience! Got any good tips for future babysitters? Let us know!